Saturday, December 18, 2010

Why and Wherefore

The bell trio from HMS Pinafore notwithstanding, I'd like to lay out a few items for the edification of anyone so hard up for things to do that would actually read this. One my favorite nieces inspired me to take pen to blog some years ago. I will not compromise her with a link, because her last post is April, 2009. (Caution taken.) My major hesitation in following her footsteps was that I perceived just getting started as akin to boiling the ocean. Who am I that anyone should care what I think? For now, see the profile and my website, and...

Reminant? Poetic and internet license. The cognoscenti (and the spel cheker) know it's Remnant, a concept (in my context) introduced in the old testament books of Kings and delightfully paraphrased by Albert Jay Nock. Kindred souls who Google "remnant" will immediately recognize that almost no one who claims the mantle has any business getting near it. I thus capture a concept and yet stay separate from one crowd of idiots, and thus enjoy use of a keyword that has not been squatted upon and otherwise defiled. It also alliterates with...

Rumination? From ruminant. Bovine, (allegedly) gentle beast whose afternoon repose is occupied digesting the more resisting bits earlier consumed. Sounds good to me. Intellectual digesting and (metaphor not to be taken literally here) some bits passed to others (should there be any others) for their own digestion. (And yes, my beloved niece, there will occasionally be recipes.)

CaseyJ? J is for Jones. Mr. Jones was a famous engineer with the Illinois Central, celebrated in song, who would (correctly) have gone to jail had he, in our age, executed the wreck that killed him, and had somehow survived it. So unrelenting a railroad enthusiast was I as a child that I, to my mother's chagrin, was taught by my father to write "Casey" before I was taught my own name. Railroads and railroading are important, actually and metaphorically.

Much more, but for now, I circle back to HMS Pinafore and simply say...

I 'm an American! Behold me!

No comments:

Post a Comment